Wednesday, March 09, 2005
Impressing myself
This week so far has been all about interesting recollections of my non-student days, that ended that long distant time of 2.5 months ago. First, I found mention of my professional qualities from Rep. Ed Fallon's campaign site, and today I did a killer presentation and discussion in my Introduction to Planning Theory class that incorporated my most interesting post-graduate job as an organizer for 1000 Friends of Iowa's anti-sprawl campaign in Ames (Amy, that's a town with your name.. golly!).
Look around the website for details on what I was involved in.
It would be very complicated to explain the scope of my presentation. I'm glad I kept my presentation short and covered everything I wanted, and was as little long-winded as possible. What was a great feeling was that I had a sense that I was an expert, that my direct experience in anti-sprawl activisim offered unique insights that were useful to my fellow planning students, all coming from a wide swath of academic and professional backgrounds. These recollections of my past experiences convince me I"m not that negative a guy, especially since that job was very stressful and involved some situations where I felt pretty useless, but overall it was my best job. And I got to be on TV news as a KFOI spokesperson twice!
Tonight after hiding in my apartment when I should be out and about I have two definite Chicago social options at the exact same time.
One is Drinking Liberally - Chicago Chapter .
Second is Booze N' Jews .
To help explain clearly... one group involves liberals... and alcohol.
And the other involves Jews... and alcohol.
Try to guess which ones!
Actually I went to Boozenjews in January after being invited by someone earlier in the day and the bar that it was held at was very loud which wasn't ideal for my way of getting to know a bunch of new people, which is not to only use hand gestures and yelling to get insights into your personality across. Come to think of it, everyone ought to learn sign language, that way we could all communicate at concerts and bars and stuff, even from across the room! Those lucky deaf people.
But I need to read something for class now.
Check out the band The Books while you're at it, commandeth Jonah.
Look around the website for details on what I was involved in.
It would be very complicated to explain the scope of my presentation. I'm glad I kept my presentation short and covered everything I wanted, and was as little long-winded as possible. What was a great feeling was that I had a sense that I was an expert, that my direct experience in anti-sprawl activisim offered unique insights that were useful to my fellow planning students, all coming from a wide swath of academic and professional backgrounds. These recollections of my past experiences convince me I"m not that negative a guy, especially since that job was very stressful and involved some situations where I felt pretty useless, but overall it was my best job. And I got to be on TV news as a KFOI spokesperson twice!
Tonight after hiding in my apartment when I should be out and about I have two definite Chicago social options at the exact same time.
One is Drinking Liberally - Chicago Chapter .
Second is Booze N' Jews .
To help explain clearly... one group involves liberals... and alcohol.
And the other involves Jews... and alcohol.
Try to guess which ones!
Actually I went to Boozenjews in January after being invited by someone earlier in the day and the bar that it was held at was very loud which wasn't ideal for my way of getting to know a bunch of new people, which is not to only use hand gestures and yelling to get insights into your personality across. Come to think of it, everyone ought to learn sign language, that way we could all communicate at concerts and bars and stuff, even from across the room! Those lucky deaf people.
But I need to read something for class now.
Check out the band The Books while you're at it, commandeth Jonah.
Comments:
<< Home
Those groups, Drinking Liberally and Booze N' Jews, are awesome! Too bad there's not a chapter of Drinking Liberally anywhere I have lived or plan on living in the near future.
By the way, I hadn't really heard of the band Grandaddy (from the video I put on my blog) until Amy showed me that video, except that they were on the soundtrack to I am Sam. But I have really enjoyed the antics of the Flaming Lips and their on stage animal fans. I've heard that often other famous musicians do it, but no one knows since they are in full costume.
If I go to a Flaming Lips concert where they have the animals, I think I'll go around and rip all the heads off to make sure my fav. musician is not underneath!
Post a Comment
By the way, I hadn't really heard of the band Grandaddy (from the video I put on my blog) until Amy showed me that video, except that they were on the soundtrack to I am Sam. But I have really enjoyed the antics of the Flaming Lips and their on stage animal fans. I've heard that often other famous musicians do it, but no one knows since they are in full costume.
If I go to a Flaming Lips concert where they have the animals, I think I'll go around and rip all the heads off to make sure my fav. musician is not underneath!
<< Home

