Saturday, March 12, 2005

 

Music is neat!

First of all thanks Erin for trying your best to work through blogspot to try and post comments. I can assume that, if you were able to, you would be posting handfuls of comments for each post praising my insightfulness and making my blog appear to be as popular as this one . I appreciate the support.

Now to what I find almost as fun as um... ... being happy and stuff... I'm talking of course about MAKING MUSIC LISTS!!!!

If you haven't already please check my top 100 (+1 due to a recent addition) albums of all time (not counting very recent purchases, some of which were pretty good), right over here . I hope you find it interesting. It took a while to put it together over the last few months (years?), sometimes having to deal with slow internet connections.

I have told anyone within an earful my complete appreciation for Sirius Satellite Radio . After the initial hardware purchases it is an incredibly inexpensive source of a variety of entertainment, including many intelligent cultural products (varieties of music, news, commentary, NPR shows) that I would be mostly looking for in much more expensive cable TV watching anyway. No audio of the Daily Show yet on there, but there's the Al Franken show!

So anyway, my Sirius Boombox has a feature that lets you save up to 20 songs that pop up on the station your listening to. It then beeps whenever that song plays again. It is pretty much like a 20-song mix CD that continuosly evolves and its nice when your in your daily evening doldrums and then you hear that "beep" and anticipate which of your rarely heard favorites you are going to be blessed with.

So, I would like to present to you the "Top 20 Songs That I Do Not Own in Any Form as Indicated By My Sirius Boombox Memory List". Now, the rankings mean something, because the oldest song (#1) is the one that has stayed on my list the longest, meaning either its a combination of hardly being played plus I to date have not gotten sick of it, which is a pretty big deal given my music attention span. So this post is already long enough here it is:

1) Television - Marquee Moon (send me an mp3 somebody!!)
2) Fela Kuti - Zombie
3) Curtis Mayfield - Pusherman
4) Stone Roses - She Bangs the Drum
5) Spiritualized - Do It All Over Again
6) Beastie Boys - So Watcha' Want
7) Led Zeppelin - Gallow's Pole
8) New Order - Blue Monday
9) Massive Attack - Protection
10) Belle and Sebastian - Storytelling
11) Mission of Burma - That's When I Reach for my Revolver
12) Ricky Nelson - Poor Little Fool
13) Sugar Hill Gang - Apache
14) The Mar-keys - Last Night
15) Dresden Dolls - Coin-Operated Boy
16) Nirvana - You Know You're Right
17) Talking Heads - Road to Nowhere
18) Bright Eyes - Take it Easy (Love Nothing)
19) Blue Swede - Hooked on a Feeling
20) James Gang - Funk #49

Hope you enjoyed that!

I am going to brave weather tonight and go to a Chicago music club for the first time since I've moved here. Place is called the Empty Bottle . Wish me luck as this Iowa bumpkin (albeit a Jewish one) tries to blend. I will spit out the stem of wheat constantly in my teeth, and change out of my overalls with homemade Mogen (Star of) David patches before I leave.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?